Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend, 2011









 The 81st Annual Memorial Day Parade was held in Aspinwall this morning.  I think I may have attended at least 20 during my lifetime.  I began in the decorated bike section following the fire engines with my neighbor pals.  My next phase was as a French horn player in the Blawnox Elementary marching band.  I attended a number during my teen years as an observer, but then there was a break of about 15 years until Philip was in a stroller festooned with garland and a sun hat!  What a kick it was to be strolling with other parents who I rode in the parade with as a child myself.  Philip and Matthew road their decorated vehicles or roller blades for a number of years.  They even had four or five babysitters who won the American Legion essay award at St. Scho's and who got to ride in the parade in a festooned car throwing candy to the crowd.  There was a lot of cheering for the winners at every corner!  I have a feeling that my next phase will be strolling in the parade again as life comes full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment