Sunday, August 16, 2009

Happy Anniversary, Woodstock!

Merriconeag Yachting Association Boat House and Dock, 2008

What a celebration over last weekend - the WSJ and NYT reminisced, VH1 Classic ran a documentary and XM Radio devoted a station, number 40, to Woodstock. I don't know about you, but for me, last weekend had many 'Where were you during Woodstock?' moments. In case you were wondering, I was in Harpswell, ME visiting my mother's family. Cousins were bountiful among the three sisters and the three 15 year-olds, of which I was one in 1969, were very anxious to be older that summer. Army jackets, bare feet, cigarette and beer sneaking were the norm as we hung out at the local yacht club. On Sunday morning, we discovered an older cousin asleep on the club couch after hitchhiking home from Woodstock. Although trying to be older that summer, I had no real understanding about the event and its historic and cultural significance. I was more interested in the box of Dunkin Doughnuts he picked up on the way than any of my cousin's tales!

No comments:

Post a Comment